05 November 2004

After sunset

The switch to/from Daylight Savings Time this past week has kind of thrown me for a loop this time around, probably because I'm going through a particularly virulent period of insomnia that has been keeping me up all night. As a freelancer, I can work whenever, so this hasn't really gotten in the way of getting work done, but it does mean that I've been sleeping so late this week that it feels like I get to see the sun for about 45 minutes each day.

The good news is that I've been reunited with my exercise bike -- it had been gathering dust in my old bedroom at my mother's house across town. So I can still get exercise on a daily basis, even though I feel like I live in the arctic circle during the wrong half of the year. So I got that goin' for me. Which is nice.

And, like a lot of people I know, I've been mooing morosely all week about the election results, and everything I say comes out sounding like Eeyore said it, instead of perky ol' me. or like that cartoon dog that went around saying nothing but "It'll never work, we're doomed." I swear I'll get back to fighting the good fight and stoking the flames of the resistance soon. real soon. I just have to drink another bottle of wine first and scan the apartment listings in Amsterdam one more time.

In the meantime, I'll be working out my frustrations on the bike, and working on standing my ground against the gathering dark.

No comments: