02 June 2005

Evelyn Waugh

I have a new favorite movie.

I watched this last night. Then I watched it again. I was on my third time through, with 20 minutes to go (the awful lunch scene, after Midnight at the Oasis...) when Matt came home and I had to break the news to him that I have found a new love.

Maybe it's because, not that long ago, I was an insomniac in Amsterdam. Maybe it's because the movie nailed it as far as what it feels like to be in a different country where you don't speak the language.

Maybe it's because I'm deeply into crushes that are doomed to go nowhere.

But it kills me that everyone talks about this movie (which had terrific music, by the way) as a film about an "improbable friendship." friendship? people?

I know from where I speak. And this, my friends, was maybe platonic, but definitely an affair. I know what love looks like, and Sofia Coppolla obviously knows how to capture it on film. This was love.

That scene where Bill Murray reached out and touched her foot on the bed was just about the best thing I've ever seen.

No comments: