26 April 2005

Horton gets a desk

One of the things that I love the most about my job is that I am inexplicably surrounded by people who mean what they say and say what they mean. It is the oddest thing.

I am of this stripe as well, you know, and it is so strange to suddenly have been airlifted into The Land of the Responsible. In a non-profit, no less!

As an example: they decided that I should have my own office, with my own desk. I was thrilled. I was also skeptical. They talked about renovating an under-used room, getting me my own computer, switching from dial-up to DLS, giving me my own phone extension. I said, sounds great! (I thought, yeah right!)

Honest to god, two days later I had the plans for my new desk presented to me (it was built in-house), the next day we cleaned out the space, and today I went in and my new desk had magically materialized in its designated spot.

I tell you, I was speechless.

And tomorrow we have an appointment with the computer guy to hook up my new computer and my new phone line.

I mean, my god.

They say they will do things, and then they go ahead and they do them.

Am I dreaming?

I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent.

from Horton Hatches the Egg, by Dr. Suess

No comments: