29 July 2005

Cock. And also Tail.

Went out for drinks with an old friend tonight. I got to the bar before he did, so I grabbed the only barstool available and ordered myself a cocktail. What a satisfying word to say that is: "cocktail." Really rolls right off the tongue quite nicely. Mmmmm... cocktail.

So anyway, enough of the cock and the tail. I found myself sitting next to a lovely gal who was avidly watching the Red Sox game. Shortly after I got my drink, Olerud hit a very uncharacteristic grand slam, and she pretty much went nuts, a form of behavior that I highly endorse when grand slams are hit. So I went nuts along with her, jumping up and down and screaming and whatnot.

We sat back down, trying to retain what little dignity we had left, and she remarked on how nice it was to meet a similarly enthusiastic female Red Sox fan. In the spirit of being Fair and Just, I disclosed that I was indeed a true-blue baseball fan, and therefore grand salamis are always to be celebrated, but that I was a supporter of The Dark Side.

I'm a Yankees fan.

She took it in stride, pulling her purse closer to her chest while warily eyeing the bar for a less dangerous bar stooll. But I won her over by singing the praises of Francona, and expressing my admiration for Papi, and also of Fenway, which is truly one of the greatest places ever. If ever there was a shrine to baseball, that is it.

As I have asserted in the past, I'm a baseball fan first. I've been to Cooperstown a few times. I named my cat after Satchel Paige. I just finished reading the biography of Lou Gehrig.

I know, I know. This whole Yankees/Red Sox thing. Well, let me tell you, folks, it has gotten completely out of hand. Yankees and Red Sox fans have a lot in common. I find that we are all the most passionate, well-informed, true fans of the game in the universe.

My girlfriend at the bar and I were discussing this very salient point when my date showed up. I made my goodbyes to the Sox fan, she hugged me goodbye, and said "Go Sox!"

To which I responded "Go Yankees!"

And then we made out.

Can't we all just get along?

No comments: