So Brooks has done it, as have several of his friends. I felt at first like it would involve way too much work, but then I got all excited about some of the bands Brooks picked, and I also realized I had little else to do but snort more wine and crackers.
And then it turned into a very fun project.
And you will shortly see with what decade I have the most affinity/hipness.
Here follows my List of My 25 Favorite Songs. For an excellent explanation of the priorities in compiling this list, read Brooks'.
25. Tukka Yoot's Riddim -- Us3
24. Washing of the Water -- Peter Gabriel
23. Let's Stay Together -- Al Green
22. Mr Jones -- Talking Heads
21. Cocaine Blues -- Johnny Cash
20. Please Don't Bury Me -- John Prine
19. Nightswimming -- REM
18. Pictures of You -- Cure
17. Glory Box -- Portishead
16. Cure For Pain -- Morphine
15. Everybody Knows -- Leonard Cohen
14. That's How Strong My Love Is -- Taj Mahal
13. Start From Scratch -- Galactic
12. Temptation -- New Order
11. What is Hip? -- Tower of Power
10. Fools Gold -- Stone Roses
9. Fairytale of New York -- Pogues
8. Texas Flood -- Stevie Ray Vaughn
7. I'll Be Your Man -- Los Blancos
6. Exit Music (For a Film) -- Radiohead
5. Hesitation Blues -- Hot Tuna (Jorma Kaukonen)
4. Powderfinger -- Neil Young
3. Superstition -- Stevie Wonder
2. Use Me -- Bill Withers.
1. Space Oddity -- David Bowie.
I omitted any commentary on my choices, because once I started writing them, it turned out that each one was related to some great love, some great break-up, or some other long boring story.
After all, how else do we fall in love with songs?
Except for Bowie. He just rules.