14 July 2004

Now batting, number 33

Today, my age becomes a palindrome.

My mother has already stopped by, bearing many books, a bookbag, and a card. She will be taking me out to dinner Friday night.

Today, Matt and I plan to play tourists, and indulge in mini golf, go-cart racing, and clam shack cuisine. And also tequila. And then a Cape League game.

Several years ago, when I was working as a cook, we had a sanitation guide on the wall that informed us about proper hand-washing technique. It advised us to be sure to scrub our hands for at least 40 seconds, or the time it takes to sing "Happy Birthday To Me" twice.

I asked my friends to please seek help immediately if they ever found me serenely laving my hands in the hand sink, serenading myself to "Happy Birthday."

Unless it was today.

No comments: